Saturday, January 23, 2010

The holiest of days



So this is blogging eh? Hmmm. Not sure what to sayyyyyyyyyy. Guess I'm not a good blooger. Blogger. Whatever. Um, well the purpose of this blog (I guess) is to tell about all of my exciting adventures living in Korea for a year! In my head I just said that sarcastically and then sighed for real. Honestly, I'm in a terrible mood right now so everything is gonna have that terrible mood slant. Also, this blog shit seemed like a good idea in theory, but now it seems like a lot of pressure to be funny or clever and I just don't know if I have it in me. Hmph!

I arrived on October 31st (the holiest of days) and was hellbent on celebrating my favorite holiday no matter what. Strangely, I was not very tired. Or maybe I was so tired that I wasn't anymore. Full circle. The first person I met at the school was Kelly. I believe I arrived on a Saturday. She came in on her day off at the request of the Head Mistress. "How nice of her!", I thought. That was before I figured out that above all else you must OBEY. (This really only applies to the Korean teachers), but more on that later.
Kelly was very nice to me. A little too nice... (spoiler alert!) and showed me to my "apartment" which I will now refer to as my room. It's not terribly small, but it's definitely not a one bedroom as advertised. Either way, I'm satisfied with the accommodations and won't go into much detail as I plan to post a video soon.
I had been in my room for just about five minutes when I heard a knock at the door. I opened the door to see someone with blonde hair and blue eyes. She turned out to be a very kind woman named Maura. She's a bit older and has a daughter who's in her early twenties I think. Immediately I could tell that she is very nice and motherly and boring and I have nothing in common with her. Later I found out that she's a hardcore Republican and hates Obama and gay people. So yeah.
I'm not sure whether Maura brought him over or whether he...no actually she left to go get the other foreign teacher named Jeff. He's Canadian and hilarious. No really. This dude is a for real comedian who does tours and has websites and fans. Needless to say, I was so happy to have lucked out. My greatest fear was living in close quarters with some people I can't stand. It's hard enough to pack your shit and move across the globe to a foreign non-english speaking country (in Seoul many people do speak english, but you get the idea) without being forced to live with a bunch of assholes. So, for Jeff I am grateful. For Maura, I am sad.
As it turns out, Maura is diabetic and has to be careful about what she eats/drinks so she turned down the offer to go to a Halloween party with Jeff and his friends. I was happy to be invited along, so that I didn't have to invite myself. After all, I was hellbent. First we went to Toys R' Us to procure some costumes. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that this store exists in Korea. I bought a long pink wig, which I chopped off at the chin. My costume was Scarlett Johanson's character from lost in translation. Jeff purchased some thick costumey glasses and a baldy wig. What do you call it when a guy is completely bald on top, and has thick hair on both sides? Well, that's what he got. His costume was some some well known Korean comedian apparently. He had a little schtick he would do and all the Koreans were in tears, but I didn't get it. The friends we met were a married couple named Nate and Kat. They were a lot of fun. We had drinks at their apartment and then went to a nearby bar. All in all, I would say that my first night here was a success! I shall post pics as proof.

No comments:

Post a Comment